What’s that tool? Rakestraw Spinner

On Sunday, we asked “What is that tool?” on social media.  It seems we confounded some spinners and some of you really know your tools!  This tool is a rakestraw spinner, also known as a Mayan spinner.

Traditionally found in north and central America, the rakestraw spinner was used to spin coarser materials, such as Spanish Moss, into rope.  It is spun in a similar way to a party ratchet noise maker to add twist to the fiber.

Check out the below resources for a detailed history of the rakestraw spinner and for some shops that carry this tool!








Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *